Framingham State University
STUDENT HEALTH INSURANCE PLAN
2012-2013 POLICY YEAR
Welcome to the Framingham State University Student Health Insurance Plan
Massachusetts State Law requires full time (3 courses or more) students to have health insurance, both to protect against unexpected high medical costs and provide access to quality care. This site contains information about the requirements and features of the Framingham State University Student Insurance Plan.
Massachusetts State Law, the Massachusetts Qualifying Student Health Insurance Policy (QSHIP requires you to waive the school sponsored insurance plan each year). It is important for you to make an informed health assessment each year; for instance, have your health insurance needs changed, will you be participating in a study abroad program, will you be traveling for an internship or medical rotation, and do you only have coverage for emergencies? Make sure you are not left mid-year without appropriate health coverage, it could hinder your academic progress. Please take a moment to review the links to the right to assist you in making this important decision.
You may waive coverage under this plan if you have health insurance that meets all the Framingham State University plan requirements in the waiver section. You will need to provide information about your coverage. An accepted waiver applies to the entire academic year during which it is filled.
Waiver/Enrollment selections must be completed by September 30, 2012.
Full-Time Students: All full-time students are required to show proof of coverage or to enroll in the Framingham State University Student Insurance Plan. The waiver/enrollment process is an annual one. Framingham State University reserves the right to audit all waivers in order to ensure compliance with Framingham State University insurance requirements.
What to have before you start:
If you currently have comparable health insurance with another insurance company, be sure you have the required level of coverage. Before beginning this enrollment/waiver process, have the following materials with you:
- Your Framingham State University Student ID number
- Your current health insurance plan ID card.
- Your health insurance brochure or plan document.
If the student falls under one of the following categories they need to purchase the school’s insurance plan or another comparable plan.
- Student with coverage from insurance carriers outside the U.S. and/or coverage by foreign National Health Services programs.
- Students determined to be Low Income Patients for Services Eligible for Payment from Uncompensated Care Pool.
- Students with a health insurance plan that provides coverage through a closed network of providers not reasonably assessable in the area where the student attends school, for all emergency services.
- If you are currently covered by the Commonwealth Care Plan of Massachusetts you are required by the State of Massachusetts to notify them of your change to full time or three quarter time student status, which does not meet the eligibility requirements for coverage under the Commonwealth Care Plan.